The Vanguard Transition Center Summer Experience
The Vanguard Transition Center Summer Experience is an extended school-year program for young adults. This program offers the transition-aged population their own ESY program with an emphasis on maintaining vocational and daily living skills. All students participate in workshops and small-group formal instruction that focus on time and money management as well as interpersonal, self-advocacy, recreation and leisure skills. Students have the opportunity to participate in an overnight experience that will guide them through all aspects of living independently including personal care, cooking and shopping.
The VTC Summer Experience offers post-secondary education support, vocational development and daily living skills to young adults with a Pennsylvania Department of Special Education exceptionality of autism, speech-language impairment, emotional disturbance and/or other health impairment (OHI). Students also may experience developmental disabilities, learning differences or social-emotional or behavioral difficulties.
Summer Experience Highlights
- Evidence-based instruction in math, language arts, daily living skills, employment skills, current events, healthy lifestyles and human social development
- Career exploration and technical instruction
- Development of positive work habits and social-interaction skills
- Community-based activities
- Recreational opportunities
- Related services are provided as specified in a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).