The Vanguard Transition Center Summer Experience
The Vanguard Transition Center Summer Experience is an extended school-year program for young adults. This program offers the transition-aged population their own ESY program with an emphasis on maintaining vocational and daily living skills. All students participate in workshops and small-group formal instruction that focus on time and money management as well as interpersonal, self-advocacy, recreation and leisure skills.
The VTC Summer Experience offers post-secondary education support, vocational development and daily living skills to young adults with a Pennsylvania Department of Special Education exceptionality of autism, speech-language impairment, emotional disturbance and/or other health impairment (OHI). Students also may experience developmental disabilities, learning differences or social-emotional or behavioral difficulties.
Summer Experience Highlights
- Evidence-based instruction in math, language arts, daily living skills, employment skills, current events, healthy lifestyles and human social development
- Career exploration and technical instruction
- Development of positive work habits and social-interaction skills
- Community-based activities
- Recreational opportunities
- Related services are provided as specified in a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).